content provided by: Eva J.
Keep your eyes peeled
From viral sensations to mysterious up-and-comers, 2018 has already produced an incredible crop of new artists that remind us why we listen to new music at all, and what it can do on emotional and social levels. Here are some of our favorites so far. They are the future.
© 2018 Isaac Gracie. All rights reserved.
- Before releasing his breakout single “Last Words”, he sang with the Ealing Abbey Choir and performed with them six times a week.
- His latest video for “Running On Empty” was filmed in a house that was previously owned by Led Zeppelin.
- On repeat: “Last Words”
© 2018 Lewis Capaldi. All rights reserved.
- This 21-year-old singer-songwriter opened for Sam Smith’s tour in Europe.
- The first gig ever played was when he was 12 at a local festival in Edinburgh. This year he performed on the same stage as The Killers at TRNSMT festival.
- On repeat: “Tough”
© 2018 Doubtful Sounds. All rights reserved.
- Both Robert Plant and Adele have told lead vocalist Nick Brown that he’s one of their favorite male vocalists.
- The Nashville-based band was longlisted on the BBC’s Sound of 2011 poll, which predicts artists that will become successful that same year.
- On repeat: “Don’t Let Go”
© 2018 Not3s. All rights reserved.
- His first track “Addison Lee” started off as a joke between him and his friends, but once the song circulated on social media, the London MC decided to release it on SoundCloud.
- The 3 in his name stands for the three notes in his life he wants most: “money notes, music notes, and people taking note of me.”
- On repeat: “Addison Lee”
© 2018 Tierra Whack. All rights reserved.
- Her debut audiovisual album, Whack World, is only 15 minutes long with 15 short minute-long tracks.
- She’s earned praise from both Meek Mill and A$AP Rocky back when she went by the name Dizzle Dizz.
- Her first job was at a carwash in Atlanta where she washed 2 Chainz’s truck and T.I.’s car (but missed Andre 3000). She used the money from that job to buy her own laptop to record her songs.
- On repeat:
© 2018 EveningStandard. All rights reserved.
- She was the first British artist to be featured in XXL’s Freshman Class list.
- Although she was born in England, she spent most of her childhood in the Netherlands, which is where she acquired an American accent and learned to speak fluent Dutch.
- On repeat: “Real Ting”