Keep your eyes peeled
From viral sensations to mysterious up-and-comers, 2018 has already produced an incredible crop of new artists that remind us why we listen to new music at all, and what it can do on emotional and social levels. Here are some of our favorites so far. They are the future.
- Soulful R&B singer and multi-instrumentalist who declines to show her face or confirm her identity. This is H.E.R.
- Go-to track: “Focus”
- Your new favorite artist. “It’s a song that says, ‘Even if it’s all going down the pan, your friends and family will sort you out’,” says Walker on “ Leave a Light On” . “I’m saying, ‘Don’t worry about it. It’s all good.’”
- Go-to track: “ Leave a Light On”
- London-based electronic musician Tom Grennan first entered the wider public as a guest vocalist on Chase & Status' track "When It All Goes Wrong."
- Go-to track: “ Royal Highness”
- Upbeat earworm. ‘80s-inspired synths with soaring vocal delivery. The perfect combination of jazz, soul, and pop.
- Go-to track: “ I Better Love You (Live Session) feat. Ms Banks”
- Australian singer/songwriter Hazel English is blooming with such grace and beauty. Her music is warm, dreamy, sweet, and everything in between.
- Go-to track: “ More Like You”
- “You Are The Reason started out as a song about something completely different than what it is now. It was originally written from a fragile place of anxiety and not knowing the cause of it. But as we carried on writing, we realized how every relationship has difficult times, but you stick with it because the love you fundamentally feel for the other person overrides everything else. I wrote this song to say thank you to those special people who make our lives better, simply because they’re in it.” – Calum Scott
- Go-to track: “ You Are The Reason”
- A buzz-worthy artist with slick throwback sounds.
- Go-to song: “ Fvxk With You feat. Rich Homie Quan”