Last October, Videotron was the first operator to broadcast the premium digital channel Stingray Classica in North America. With over 50 premieres a year, the channel - dedicated to classical music, ballet, and opera - is priced at CAN $5.99 per month.
The results? In less than 6 months, the uptake in subscribers has exceeded all expectations.
How did that happen? The strategy was three-pronged:
- Create overall awareness for the brand
- Reach classical music lovers through strategic partnerships
- Build a complimentary media campaign
Pre-channel launch, Stingray invested in an in-theatre ad campaign reaching Cineplex movie-goers of “Live at The Met”, a series of live transmissions of performances from The Metropolitan Opera House in New York.
At channel deployment time, together with Videotron, we rolled out a campaign consisting of commercials on networks including A&E, CNN, TLC, AMC, and GOLF, newsletters to Videotron customers, and a 2-month free preview that really gave viewers a sense of the programming.
Videotron’s promotional push was complemented by grassroots initiatives with key partnerships in both the major metro markets of Montreal and Quebec City, as well as more regional areas in the Videotron footprint. Tactics included everything from having a presence at special evening performances, to distributing flyers in concert halls, and to advertising in programs.
- Opéra de Montréal & the Young Associates of the Opéra
- Montréal Symphony Orchestra
- Orchestre Symphonique de Québec
- École Vincent d’Indy musical school in Montreal
- La Scena Musicale, Quebec's leading classical music magazine
Ongoing, Stingray is working with Videotron to highlight programs of note and relevant content to promote the service monthly to sustain viewers and fans of a genre that is growing in popularity.